The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is reporting ice on roads and bridges in Lafayette County as well as other counties in north and central Mississippi. MDOT crews are working to place salt and slag on the affected roads and bridges to make them passable.
Ice has been reported in the following counties: Alcorn, Benton, Bolivar, Coahoma, DeSoto, Holmes, Lafayette, Leflore, Marshall, Panola, Quitman, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tate, Tippah, Tunica, Union and Washington.
The public is encouraged to limit travel only in case of emergency in the affected areas. MDOT also encouraged the traveling public to pay close attention to weather and travel advisories issued by the National Weather Service, the Mississippi Highway Patrol and local law enforcement.
MDOT said it does not anticipate any road or bridge closures due to winter weather at this time; however, motorists should use extreme caution when traveling through the affected counties.
Using safe driving techniques is one way to ensure you “survive your drive” during winter weather. MDOT offers these safe driving tips:
- Buckle up for safety
- Slow down, especially when driving in winter weather conditions
- Allow more space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you
- Brake early to allow plenty of time to stop
- Brake gently to avoid skidding and never slam on the brakes
- Turn on lights to be more visible to other motorists
- Do not use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads
- Stay alert and look farther ahead in traffic than you normally do
- And drive safely.