The 4th of July is almost here, and where better to celebrate than right here in Oxford? The Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce is set to host the “2017 LOU 4th Of July Celebration” all day on Tuesday, July 4th. Beginning at 7:30 a.m. with the “Stars and Stripes on the Square” 5K Classic, ending with fireworks at Swayze Field at 9 p.m., and so much in between, there is no shortage of patriotic celebration happening around town. Chamber Senior VP, Pam Swain, looks forward to seeing the turnout for this year’s event.
“The Chamber is thrilled to work with Family Crisis Services and a team of volunteers who selflessly give up their holiday each year in order to create a fun community event each 4th of July,” Swain said.” This event has been going on for decades and has become a genuinely exceptional and memorable tradition for our citizens. Kids and adults alike will find plenty to see, hear and enjoy at this year’s event. We invite the whole community, all of the LOU, to come and join us as we celebrate the 4th of July together!”
A full schedule of events for the 4th can be seen below.
- 7:30 a.m.: “Stars & Stripes on the Square” 5K Classic to benefit the Oxford-Lafayette Humane Society Join our facebook page!
- 8:30 a.m.: Fun Run
- 9:30 a.m.: LOU 4th of July Children’s Parade on the Square, lineup begins at 9 a.m. by Something Southern. Parade registration 2017
- 4 p.m.- Nightfall: Activities in the Grove at Ole Miss Activities include: Live Music and Food Vendors Vendor Application Children’s Area, featuring: Petting Zoo, Train Rides, Bounce Houses, Face Painting, Balloon Art
- 4-5 p.m. – LOU Community Band
- 5:30 p.m. – Inaugural Independence Day Pageant Click for Details
- 6:30 p.m.: Independence Day Ceremony in the Grove, a moment to reflect on the occasion and honor our local servicemen and women. Parade awards announced.
- 7 -8:15 p.m.: Music in the Grove
- 7 p.m.: Honey & Boots http://www.honeyboyandboots.com/
- 7:30 p.m.-8:15 p.m.: Rocket 88, HEADLINER http://www.rocket88music.com
- 7:30 p.m.: Gates open to the Oxford University Stadium (Swayze Field) for a $2 donation, proceeds going to the 2018 4th of July Celebration. No coolers. Refreshments will be available for purchase. Local films will be shown on the stadium screen prior to fireworks.
- 9 p.m. (Nightfall): Fireworks Presentation over Oxford-University Stadium-Swayze Field. Fireworks sponsored by Olin-Winchester. The show will be 20 minutes. Please take care to note the perimeter is marked for safety.
Steven Gagliano is the managing editor of HottyToddy.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.HERE!