Taylor’s was the name that appeared on the end of the depot, but to most Lafayette countians, it is simply Taylor.
At the time this was one of the busiest little depots anywhere in the land. Included in the photograph are: D. T. Mitchell, C. E. Sisk, F. C. Mitchell, J. T. Knight, J. W. Garner (railroad agent), J. W. Nunnery, M. D. Ragland, C. J. Shearer (section foreman), Mrs. Nettie Mitchell and C. W. Williams.
Jim Hamilton writes, “John Taylor settled here in 1832. Railroad was opened in 1858. The town was Incorporated as Taylor’s Depot in 1873, reincorporated in 1907 as The Village of Taylor. Since 2010, The Town of Taylor. But still ‘simply Taylor.'”
John Cofield is a HottyToddy.com writer and one of Oxford’s leading folk historians. He is the son of renowned university photographer, Jack Cofield. His grandfather, J.R. “Colonel” Cofield, was William Faulkner’s personal photographer and for decades was the Ole Miss yearbook photographer. Cofield attended Ole Miss as well.
Check out Cofield’s new book: Oxford, Mississippi ~ The Cofield Collection — a pictorial history book with John’s writing on the history to go along with the photos.
Contact John at Johnbcofield@gmail.com.HERE!