The Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning made three important announcements related to the search for the next Chancellor of the University of Mississippi at its meeting held Thursday in Jackson.
The Board of Trustees named the members of the Campus Search Advisory Committee and the Board Search Committee.
In addition, a search firm was selected to assist with the search.
There were 386 individuals nominated for the Committee; 34 have been selected to serve. Dr. Alice Clark, Vice Chancellor for Research and Sponsored Programs at the University, will chair the Campus Search Advisory Committee. Dr. Clark served as chair of the CSAC in 2009, when the last UM Chancellor Search was conducted.
“We have a superb Campus Search Advisory Committee representing students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community,” said Trustee Alan Perry, President of the Board of Trustees. “We received hundreds of excellent nominations, and it was extremely difficult to narrow the Committee down to a workable number. I know that Dr. Clark will provide outstanding leadership as Chair of the Campus Search Advisory Committee, and I appreciate her willingness to serve in this role again.”
- Charles O’Mara, M.D., Associate Vice Chancellor for Clinical Affairs, Professor of Surgery, UMMC
- Pat Patterson, Alumnus, Mayor, City of Oxford
- Lisa Percy, J.D., Alumna, Past Chair, William Winter Institute for Racial Reconciliation, Greenville
- Rachna Prakash, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Accounting, Patterson School of Accountancy
- David Rock, Ed.D., Dean of the School of Education and Professor of Curriculum and Instruction, UM
- Charles Ross, Ph.D., Director of African-American Studies and Associate Professor of History, UM
- Mary Sharp Rayner, Alumna, Past President, The University of Mississippi Alumni Association, Past Chair, Ole Miss Women’s Council, Oxford
- Larry Sparks, Alumnus, Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, UM
- Sovent Taylor, Alumnus, Instructor and Assistant Director of the Health Professions Advising Office, President, Staff Council, UM
- Melinda Valliant, Ph.D., Alumna, Associate Professor of Nutrition & Hospitality Management and Director of Nutrition and Hospitality Management’s Coordinated Programs, UM
- Alex Vasios-Sivopoulous, President, Graduate Student Council, UM
- Wendell Weakley, Alumnus, President and CEO, The University of Mississippi Foundation
- Clarence Webster, III, J.D., Alumnus, Counsel, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP, Jackson
- Noel E. Wilkin, R.Ph., Ph.D, Associate Provost, Professor of Pharmacy Administration and Research Professor, Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UM
- Roy C. Williams, Alumnus, Past President, Law Alumni Association, Past Chairman, The Lamar Order, Partner, Dogan & Wilkinson, PLLC, Gulfport
- Ethel Young-Scurlock, Ph.D., Associate Professor of English and African-American Studies and Senior Fellow of Luckyday Residential College, UM
“The next Chancellor will assume leadership of the University of Mississippi at a time of unprecedented success in its mission to transform lives and serve society. I am honored to be a part of this outstanding committee to assist the Board in finding the right person to lead our university forward,” said Dr. Alice Clark, chair of the Campus Search Advisory Committee.
Trustee Alan Perry, president of the Board, named all Trustees to the Board Search Committee and will serve as chair.
“Our board policy allows all Trustees the option to choose to serve on the Board Search Committee, and I am delighted that all Trustees have agreed to serve on the Committee.” said President Perry, who will also serve as Chair of the Board Search Committee. “This full participation by Trustees is part of the general policies and practices which have been developed in recent years to allow all Trustees the opportunity to be engaged fully in the work of the Board. The Board Search Committee is looking forward to working with the Campus Search Advisory Committee and the campus community to identify the best person to lead the University of Mississippi.”
The Board of Trustees selected the search firm of R. William Funk & Associates to assist with the search. The firm is considered the leading firm dedicated to higher education search consulting in the nation. Led by its founder and President, R. William (Bill) Funk, the firm is recognized for its unparalleled record in recruiting many of the nation’s most esteemed college and university leaders. Bill Funk will serve as the primary consultant for the University of Mississippi Chancellor Search.
“We are also very pleased that R. William Funk and Associates has agreed to assist the Board in this search,” said Trustee Perry. “The resources of this firm, which has broad experience and a national reputation in searches of this type, will be of great assistance in identifying the best candidates.”
During the past two decades, the search firm has conducted a significant number of the most important university and system President, Provost, Vice President, and Dean searches in the country.
“Bill Funk and his firm have a stellar reputation in the field and have had a tremendous impact on college and university leadership nationally,” said Dr. Glenn Boyce, Commissioner of Higher Education, “I am certain they will be able to recruit the top talent in the country and provide great assistance to the Board throughout the search process.”
Story and photo courtesy UM Communications