The Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar Home, also known as the L. Q. C. Lamar House, is a site significant for its association with Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar, II, who lived there from 1868 until 1888. Lamar was active in U.S. national polictics as a congressman and U.S. cabinet member, but resigned from congress in January 1861 and wrote the Mississippi Secession Ordinance. He served in the Civil War as a cavalry officer. Lamar is the only Mississippian to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court and one of only a handful of Americans to serve in all three branches of the U.S. government.
In 2004, the restoration of L. Q. C. Lamar’s Oxford home was undertaken by The Oxford-Lafayette County Heritage Foundation. This National Historic Landmark, located on North 14th Street, is open to the public.