By Liz Barrett Foster
With more than 100 restaurants in Oxford, it can be nearly impossible to keep track of recent openings, unfortunate closures, and which restaurants are coming soon.
Nonstop construction means that the street you drove down before summer break began may have a brand new shopping center and two new restaurants in it by the time you return.
So, in an effort to keep us all in the loop, here’s a quick rundown of the most recent shifts in Oxford’s restaurant scene.
The number of restaurants in Oxford has grown in the past year, thanks in part to the addition of new shopping centers around town such as Galleria II and Highland Court, both on Jackson Avenue. Some of the most recent openings we’ve seen around Oxford include:
- Tallahatchie Gourmet (in the former location of Shelter on Van Buren)
- Chancellor’s Grill (inside the new Chancellor’s House hotel)
- Oxford Burger Co. (on the Oxford Square)
- HoneyBaked Ham (in the Galleria II shopping center on Jackson Ave.)
- Chipotle (Jackson Ave.)
- Five Guys (Jackson Ave.)
Over the last few months we’ve seen mostly young, but also a couple of long-standing establishments, close their doors.
- Rib Cage
- Fat Eddie’s (formerly Lamar Lounge)
- Sinfully Southern Bakery & Cafe
- The Second Line
- Four Seasons Asian Bistro
Let’s avoid all of the rumors about Whataburger and Waffle House and talk about what’s actually opening soon here in Oxford.
- Lost Pizza Co. (construction is swiftly moving along at 800 College Hill Dr.)
- Slim Chickens (opening planned for later this year)
- New restaurants opening at the Ole Miss Student Union this fall will include McAlister’s Deli, Which-Wich and an expanded Chick-fil-A.
- Walk-On’s Bistreaux & Bar (no official start date; but in the works)
Liz Barrett Foster is the EatingOxford editor for HottyToddy.com, an award-winning business journalist and author of the recently published Pizza: A Slice of American History. Liz ran the popular restaurant information site EatingOxford.com from 2009 to 2015. Liz can be reached at email@example.com.