Jamie Houston’s Oxford Fitness Kickboxing on Jackson Ave. in Oxford opened in March of 2014 and has since dominated Oxford’s workout scene.
Mississippi native and OFK owner and founder, Jamie Houston, began training and cultivated a passion for MMA and jiu-jitsu. Houston worked at Coca-Cola and then Budweiser for a total of 18 years combined, but started to explore his own entrepreneurial ventures in 2013.
Training daily in different gyms in the Memphis area, Houston started competing in jiu-jitsu, and winning the fights. In September 2013, Houston started working at Memphis Fitness Kickboxing, a substitute gym for the main gym in which he trained and taught fitness kickboxing classes and jiu-jitsu.
By December of 2013, Houston decided to open his own regional fight promotion and had his first show with the Summit Fighting Championships. Houston took the money from the earnings of the fight promotion and support from his father to open Oxford Fitness Kickboxing.
“We started out of the Wonder Bread Hostess building warehouse,” Houston said.
Longtime Ole Miss Rebel fan, Houston saw it as a no-brainer to create an Oxford location.
Now, OFK has a bigger, more improved location with all the proper equipment and, most excitingly to Houston, air conditioning. They now have almost 7,000 square feet of mat space, with 44 class offerings each week.
OFK offers instruction to all skill levels for the following programs:
- Fitness kickboxing: 50-55 minute classes designed for any and all skill levels. High intensity and fast-paced class but allows you to go at your own pace.
- High intensity circuit training with set intervals of different style workouts that jumpstart the metabolism to lose weight.
- Adults and children Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
- Grappling martial arts: perfect for self defense, building confidence and keeping in shape.
- Muay thai striking classes: partner-based, instructor-lead workout with fundamental striking techniques. OFK has 40 muay thai bags hanging from bag stands, most are soft beginner bags and others are harder for more experienced strikers.
- Kids programs are continuing to develop as well.
“Our main goal was to offer every skill level for whatever someone is looking for,” Houston said.
Houston has three children: Darian, 21, a sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps and stationed on the East Coast; Elora, 18, currently in the U.S. Navy as a corpsman and stationed on the West Coast; and Jacob, 15, currently a freshman in high school and an avid lacrosse player who lives with his mother in North Carolina. Jacob plans to attend Ole Miss for college.
Oxford Fitness Kickboxing offers one week free of unlimited classes to jumpstart your fitness. They have classes throughout the day seven days a week. OFK is known for offering everything from health and fitness to self defense to combat competition and grappling competition.
Meggie Carter is the Vice President of Sales for New Media Lab. She can be reached at email@example.com